PhD in Materials Engineering. Head of Design Studies Master’s and PhD programs at Izmir University of Economics (IUE). Instructor at the Industrial Design Department at IUE. His research interest includes materials for design, smart materials, borate glasses, engineering ceramics, biomaterials, biomimetics, linguistics of design, technological forecasting, disability and work, design history, and text mining.
After receiving his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in the field of Materials Engineering at New Mexico Tech, USA, he worked in the automotive industry in engineering, R&D, and quality departments in Turkey and Italy (FIAT, Turin). Dr. Bengisu started his academic career at Eastern Mediterranean University, Northern Cyprus, in 1999. For one year, he conducted research and taught as Visiting Professor at the University of Missouri-Rolla at the Materials Research Center. Dr. Bengisu completed various self-initiated multidisciplinary projects in collaboration with partners from different fields. He is the author of four books and he contributed to 31 articles in refereed journals.
He joined the Industrial Design Department at Izmir University of Economics in March 2008. He was promoted to full professorship in February 2010. Currently, he is teaching undergraduate and graduate courses at the Industrial Design Department and Design Studies graduate programs.
- Bengisu, M. Ferrara, Materials that Change Shape, Springer, to be published in 2018
- Ferrara, M. Bengisu, Materials that Change Color, Springer, Heidelberg (2014)
- Bengisu, Engineering Ceramics, Springer, Heidelberg (2001)
- Bengisu, “Biomimetic Materials and Design”, Cuadernos del Centro de Estudios de Diseño y Comunicación 70 (2018) 97-103
- Bengisu, F. Erdoganlar Bengisu, “Beykoz Glassware and elements that Shaped It in the Nineteenth Century”, Design Issues, 29 (2013) 79-92
- Bengisu, “From Screen Readers to Tactons: Vision-Independent Technologies for Accessible Products”, PAD Journal Dec. 2014
- A. Erenturk, M. Bengisu, C. Erdogan, “Evaluation of Sodium Borate Glasses for Radioactive Waste Immobilization Applications”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem 314 (2017) 2069-2086
- Bengisu, “Borate Glasses for Scientific and Industrial Applications: A Review”, J. Mater. Sci. 51 (2016) 2199-2242
- Erdogan, M. Bengisu, S. Akyil Erenturk,” Chemical Durability and Structural Analysis of PbO–B2O3 Glasses and Testing for Simulated Radioactive Wastes”, J. Nucl. Mater. 44 (2014) 154-164
- Bengisu, S.Balta, “Employment of the Workforce with Disabilities in the Hospitality Industry”, Journal Of Sustainable Tourism , Vol. 19, (2010) No. 1, 35-57
- Bengisu, “Assistive Technologies for Visually Impaired Individuals in Turkey”, AssistiveTechnology 22 (2010) 163 – 171
- Bengisu, G. Izbırak, A. Mackieh, “Work-Related Challenges for Individuals Who Are Visually Impaired in Turkey”, JVIB 102 (2008) 284–294
- Bengisu, R. K. Brow, E. Yilmaz, A. Mogus-Milankovic, S. T. Reis, “Aluminoborate and Aluminoborosilicate Glasses with High Chemical Durability and the Effect of P2O5 Additions on the Properties”, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 352 (2006) 3668–3676
- Yilmaz, M. Bengisu, “Drug Entrapment in Silica Microspheres Through a Single Step Sol-Gel Process and In-Vitro Release Behavior”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B – Applied Biomaterials 77B (2006) 149-155
- Bengisu, R.Nekhili, “Forecasting Emerging Technologies With the Aid of Science and Technology Databases”, Technological Forecasting and Social Change 73  835-844 (2006)
- Yilmaz, M. Bengisu, “Preparation and Characterization of Physical Gels and Beads from Chitin Solutions” Carbohydrate Polymers, 54  (2003) 479-488
- Bengisu, E.Yilmaz, “Gelcasting of Alumina and Zirconia with Chitosan Gels”, Ceramics International, 28  431-438 (2002)
- Bengisu, O.T.Inal, “Whisker Toughening of Ceramics: Toughening Mechanisms, Fabrication, and Composite Properties”, Annual Review of Materials Science, Vol.24 (1994) 83-124
- Bengisu, O.T.Inal, O.Tosyali, “On Whisker Toughening in Ceramic Materials”, Acta Metall., 39  2509-2517 (1991)
- Bengisu, O.T.Inal, J.R.Hellmann, “Effect of Dynamic Compaction on the Retention of Tetragonal Zirconia and Mechanical Properties of Al2O3-ZrO2 Composites”, J.Am.Ceram.Soc., 73  346-351 (1990)